The government of Canada Pest Control Insect repellents regulates insect repellent product containing DEET can be used safely when applied as directed and in the right concentration, depending on age.
The right concentration of DEET for:
- Adults and children older than 12 years old is up to 30%
- Children aged 2 to 12 years is up to 10%
- Maximum exposure up to 3 times daily
- Children aged six months to 2 years old is up to 10%
- Children should not apply the product more than once a day
- For children younger than 12 years old, do not use a DEET product on a daily basis for more than a month.
For infants younger than six months old, do not use an insect repellent containing DEET. Instead, use a mosquito net when babies are outdoors in a crib or stroller.